Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day

Today is Pioneer Day in Utah. It is a state holiday. They are celebrating the Pioneers arriving in the Salt Lake Valley from their exodus in Nauvoo. Although I am not from Mormon Pioneer Stock, I am grateful for their courage, sacrifice and commitment to building up lives unto the Gospel. However, I do have ancestor that settled this land. My Great Grandparents, the Houses, traveled from Nebraska to Idaho to farm. My Great Grandpa Jewel House used to witch wells with a stick. He taught Eskimos in Alaska and Native American in Arizona. He lived to be almost 100.

My Great Great Grandfather William Luby came from Ireland to Canada then by horse to the Oklahoma land runs. He married an Irish girl from Illinois name Bridget

It's fun to find out about Ancestors. I think I will call my grandmother and find out a little more if I can. So even though I am not from that set of great Mormon Pioneers, I am grateful to all those Pioneers that settled this Great Country.

No comments: