
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin passed away last night at his home in SLC. He has been an apostle since 1986. He was currently the oldest living apostle at age 91. He graduated from the UofU, where he was also a halfback on the football team. He married his bride in 1941 and they had 8 children. I think one of the sweetest moments I remember in Conference was when Elder Wirthlin was giving his talk. He was struggling to stand there and give his talk. Elder Nelson came and stood beside him with his arm upon him during the rest of his talk. I think it showed how much these brethren love and care for one another.
I just read this weekend his last talk at Conference about overcoming adversity.
Here is a link to that talk...http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-9,00.html
I enjoyed his sweet, humble countenance. He was a 'doer'. He would wake at 4:30 to read his scriptures, at 5:30 he would type out his list of things to do that day. He said then he would stick to his plan. 30 min. of preparing his list would save hours of non-productivity. I wish I had a little of that in me!
I am grateful for his mission in life here, and happy he has a beautiful reunion awaiting him today!

1 comment:
his talk was my favorite this past conference...I will miss him!
Post a Comment